Hopton Bank Methodist Chapel is part of the Southern Area of the Shropshire and Marches Methodist Circuit. For information about service times, view the preaching plans on the Service Times page. Information about ministers can be found on the Southern Area Ministers page.
The Society was formed in the late 1700’s by visiting preachers from the Black Country. Initially the services were held in member’s homes.
A parcel of land was given by Mr John Dolphin of Foxwood Farm, and in 1837 a chapel and cottage was erected. Hopton Bank bacame the bridgend for Primitive Methodismin the South Shropshire area, and for some years the chapel was the head of the Circuit.
Eventually the premesis were found to be too small for the congregation, and in 1860it was decided to build a larger chapel on the plot of land adjacent to the existing premesis.
Twenty years passed before the stone-laying of the new chapel in 1880. Up to the First World War numbers slowley declined due to families moving away from the district and older members passing on.After the Second World War the congregation again began to dwindle until finally only two or three families were left to maintain and repair the two premesis. So, rather reluctantly, it was agreed that the old chapel and cottage should be sold and proceeds of the sale spent in updating the larger chapel.
This was done in time for the Centenary Celebrations in 1980, and the congregation now enjoy the modernised premesis. the Premesis provide seating for about 100 people and limited catering facilities.
Although the society is small in number, the work and witness of our Lord is still carried on, through weekly services, and occasional activities. A regular meetign is held in homes of members of the Hill Chapels.
The Setting of this chapel is truely magnificent, and we trust that, as we give thatnks for all that has been achieved, we can look forward to the ministry of worship and service to come.