Eardisley Methodist Chapel is part of the Southern Area of the Shropshire and Marches Methodist Circuit. For information about service times, view the preaching plans on the Service Times page. Information about ministers can be found on the Southern Area Ministers page.
Eardisley Methodist Chapel was opened in 1867, prior to that there was a fellowship group which met in the cottage next door. This was owned by Mr and Mrs John Saveker. John was a local preacher who walked miles along country lanes to take services. His wife Elizabeth had been a teacher but she became an evangelist for the Methodists, preaching in England and Wales, though most of her work was in the Western Counties and South Staffordshire. The Hereford Journal at the time said ‘As a preacher she was much sought after, being highly gifted in oratory, of great talent and intellect. She could move a congregation to tears’
Mr & Mrs Saveker and other began a fund to build a chapel and the Savekers generously gave part of their garden as a building plot. The foundation stones were laid in 1865 and opened on 4th August 1867, the first minister being Rev George Middleton. A loan was made by one of the Trustees and others of the congregation made donations to cover the final building work. A porch was added to the chapel in 1933 and dedicated to the memory of the first 11 Trustees.
A generation later another member of the family Mrs M A Triffit, donated money to enable the chapel to build a Sunday School room on the back and this was opened on 11th April 1950 by Mrs Triffit and her great niece, who still lives next door but one to the chapel.
Over the years the chapel has been in several different circuits, Hay on Wye and Swansea District and latterly Leominster Circuit. In the 1950’s it had a thriving Sunday School which took part in the District Scripture Exams, winning two shields which still hand in the chapel today.
Nowadays we have a membership of 2 and a regular congregation of 15 to 20. Sadly we no longer have a Sunday School. Our members come from several of the surrounding villages. The school room now has kitchen facilities and a toilet which was recently refurbished in 2011 to improve insulation adn storage. Our fellowship continues after the services as we meet in the School room for coffee and a chat, the room is also used for Harvest Lunches etc.
It is thanks to faith and foresight of the Saveker family that this church came into being and we strive to uphold their principles and to keep a Methodist presence in the village of eardisley.