Coton Methodist Chapel is part of the Northern Area of the Shropshire and Marches Methodist Circuit. For information about service times, view the preaching plans on the Service Times page. Information about ministers can be found on the Our Team page.
Coton usually has one service per month at 4pm in the chapel and largely joins Welsh End in their services for the rest of the quarter.
The following are extracts from the Centenary Celebration Booklet of August 1988.
The beginnings: The spelling ‘Cotton’ is consistent in early records, and printed plans, the plan of Wem and Prees Green Circuit for 1874 shows ‘Cotton’, with services at 2.30pm or 6.00pm each week.
Ashleys meeting house situated at ‘Cotton’ was used as a place of meeting for religious worship before 30th June 1852. Members at Coton were, in 1874, taking leading roles in the Circuit. The new Wem circuit formed in 1877.
Building the Chapel 1888: The land was purchased from Geo. Batho of Heath Lane near Whitchurch for £25 on 23rd June 1888. Great ceremony for the stone laying report in the Whitchurch Herold (July 14th 1888), ‘Wednesday 4’ inst was a red letter day in the history of primitive Methodism in Coton. The chapel was built for £70-£75 at no profit.
Camp meetings summer and autumn 1889, also a Mission and Christmas Day service. The society at Coton has continued through the years, being strongest just before the first World war until the Second world war.
Coton Chapel is situated half way along a country lane about half a mile off the B5476, Whitchurch/Wem Road.