About Hyssington Methodist Chapel
Hyssington Methodist Chapel is part of the Central Area of the Shropshire and Marches Methodist Circuit. For information about service times, view the preaching plans on the Service Times page. Information about ministers can be found on the Central Area Ministers page.
Hyssington Chapel stands at the heart of a tiny village, opposite the village green. It is in Wales, in the old county of Montgomeryshire. Built in 1889, it was the culmination of great hope and prayer for the members of the local Methodist church who held House Meetings in the village for more than 50 years at Bank Cottage and Upper Snead. It was the Primitive Methodist Church in the Bishops Castle Circuit. The building was very attractive and had the best acoustics in the Circuit, it was noted for its excellent four part harmony singing. The village War memorial is affixed to the wall above the pulpit.
A quarter of a mile up the road is St Etheldreda’s Church lying in the shadow of Castle Hill. It dates from the 13th Century and was rebuilt in 1815. It is possible that the original village was situated within the ‘Llan’.
In the Neolithic and bronze Age there was an axe factory to the north west of the village and the site is well known to historians and geologists. There cane be found, outcrops of a very specific igneous rock, it is a type of Pic-rite with a chemical composition which make it totally unique and very suitable for axes. Quite possibly the axe people worshipped on the end of Stapeley Hill at the stone circle called Mitchells Fold.
Two legends are associated with Hyssington – the bull of Bagbury and the white cow of Mitchells Fold.
There are several new bungalows and houses in the village and are occupied by early retire’rs and commuters, others live in the dwellings at weekends and holidays until 25 years ago when the main occupation was farming and allied industry. There has been a sharp decline in membership of the chapel in recent years because of members dying and infirmity. The membership is eight including two local preachers and two organists who are Ecumenical and play at the church. We do try hard to maintain weekly evening services. The most well attended are at Christmas and Harvest. We have Hymns and Psalms, Complete Mission Praise and the organists will play music by the Iona Community. In winter months, the church of St Mary the Virgin, Snead and sometimes St Etheldreda’s church hold morning services in the chapel.
Our Ecumenical relationship is good and united services are held monthly. An Accession Day Service is held on Castle Hill an open church and church yard afternoon is held in July with a service followed by tea. An all age village event is held in the Village Hall on the first Sunday od Advent. We have five children in the village but as the afternoon is so popular friends and relatives with grandchildren travel quite a distance to it. Last year the theme was ‘Footsteps’ the children and adults enjoyed a game of alternative musical chairs using footprints cut out of carpet, they also enjoyed making footprints in the sandpits. There were lots of other activities! Mary and Joseph are sent on their journey around the families in Hyssington and arrive at Bethlehem (church) on Christmas Eve at the carol service.
Perhaps you would like to stroll up Maypole Bank to the church and admire the beautiful countryside of mid Wales.
View our location on the Google Map below, or view a larger version of this map to get directions.