Kingsland Methodist Chapel is part of the Southern Area of the Shropshire and Marches Methodist Circuit. For information about service times, view the preaching plans on the Service Times page. Information about ministers can be found on the Southern Area Ministers page.
The Chapel was built in 1857, on a plot of land, which at that time was on the outskirts of the village.
At the Centenary Celebrations in 1957 there was a “big service” followed by tea in the Village Hall, various dignitaries were there, including the Rev. Russell Shearer.
Sometime in the 70’s the Chapel was closed, and a service held once a month in the Steward’s home who lived close by. Other weeks we went into Green Lane Methodist Church , or attended the Baptist Chapel.
In the early 80’s there was a big effort to get the Chapel renovated. Pews were removed and the old high pulpit and tortoise stove banished. Since then a small kitchen and disabled toilet have been installed.
In the early nineties the Baptist Church decided to close and join with us, and for a while we had a Baptist Preacher once a month.
A couple of years ago while having work done to cure the dampness, it was found the whole end had been extended at sometime, not very efficiently, and it all had to be replaced. This and some necessary work on the front has left us in a very poor state financially, especially as due to age and people moving we are very few in numbers.
We have combined services with Shobdon now, alternating between the two Chapels, the 5th Sunday being in the afternoon for Songs of Praise and tea. However, with help from friends we are able to hold a monthly tea party for some of the residents of the nearby Nursing Home, which is enjoyed by helpers and the disabled residents.
Last year we held a Flower Festival and a Christmas Tree Festival, the latter we intend to repeat again this year.