About Pontesbury Methodist Chapel
Pontesbury Methodist Chapel is part of the Central Area of the Shropshire and Marches Methodist Circuit. For information about service times, view the preaching plans on the Service Times page. Information about ministers can be found on the Central Area Ministers page.
In 1834 a Wesleyan Chapel was opened on Pontesbury Hill, replaced 63 years later with a new building on the adjacent ground.
1932 saw the old building demolished and a school room built.
Early 1980’s was the reuniting of the Zion Methodist Church and the Wesleyan Methodists to become Pontesbury Methodist Church.
Reports in 2005 describe the school room as a storage area! – ‘There is no longer a Sunday School in existence’ – depressing news with the falling church attendances predictions, by some, of closure!
However, today signs of healthy green shoots!
Stage 1 – Revamp the school room to form a welcoming ‘Community Room’
Stage 2 – Re-establish the church in the community. Engaging with local people at church led events on the community room. Usually once a month and certainly prior to major times in the life of the church, Christmas, Easter and Harvest because;
Stage 3 – Encouragement of those using the community room to join us in our church celebrations and worship
Stage 4 – To physically link the community room and the church so that
people may find the step into church and continued worship that much easier.
Mission impossible some said in 2005 – Mission in progress say Pontesbury!
View our location on the Google Map below, or view a larger version of this map to get directions.