About Plealey Methodist Chapel
Plealey Methodist Chapel is part of the Central Area of the Shropshire and Marches Methodist Circuit. For information about service times, view the preaching plans on the Service Times page. Information about ministers can be found on the Central Area Ministers page.
On 13th October 1828 Richard France, who lived at Galliers Farm, Plealey, was an Independent (or Congregational adherent) and applied for, and obtained a licence to build a Chapel in the village of Plealey at his own expense and on part of his own estate known as ‘Corfield’s Yard’ which is where we worship today.
Plealey Chapel became a registered Baptist Church but in 1851 ceased to exist as such and became a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, and has remained so ever since.
Initially Congregational in character, it changed to being a Baptist Church from 1830 until 1851 when Richard France changed his views. Subsequently it became a Methodist Chapel and the Methodist Connection has remained to the present day. Recorded in the Minutes of the Methodist Conference of 1859 is the following ‘The thanks of the conference are presented to Mr Richard France for the gift of the chapel situated at Plealey in the Shrewsbury Circuit which has cost £230’.
No minute books are apparently to be found of the history of the following one hundred years of the Chapel until the 1940’s. Like many other village chapels of that era, it was the centre of the village life with a well attended Sunday School and the usual meetings and outings that were associated with these events.
The fellowship continues to meet fortnightly on a Sunday afternoon and although small in number they are very faithful.
View our location on the Google Map below, or view a larger version of this map to get directions.